[mythtv-users] I just want to transfer old recordings to new backend

Jay Harbeston jharbestonus at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 12:02:06 UTC 2019

> On Jul 15, 2019, at 5:25 AM, <ajp at cantabrian.co.nz> <ajp at cantabrian.co.nz> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Current system is 0.25 and has been running since about this time in 2011 – so 8 years. Hardware has changed a couple of times and now runs in a VM. Crashed completely and reverted to backups a few times and corrupted tables quite a few times. It done it’s dash ….
>
> So moving to something that will hopefully be more appliance in nature once I am finished. I want to build a clean system with a clean DB on an O/S with a long shelf life, thus CentOS 7. But I want to keep all the important stuff, all my many Dr Who, Star Trek, Bond stuff along with a bunch of movies.
>
> Done quite a bit of searching and everything seems to say don't just copy tables, it ain't worth it - just try to get your old DB up enough to upgrade. Nah, not my first choice I want a clean DB not one cluttered with rubbish and half recovered tables.
>
> As a test I tried copying a row from the "recorded" table from the old backend to the new one and it worked fine - so this would be the plan, copy the rows from this table from old to new backend. I know I will miss out on stuff like "recordedprogram" and "recordedfile", but I see those as an occasional annoyance not a major. I suspect I need to something about "recorded seek" - not sure but thinking of some script to rebuild this using mythcommflag, maybe ?
>
> I probably have around 600 recordings, so not huge by some peoples standards, but a few.
>
> So any advice, tips or tricks will be appreciated but mostly interested if anything catastrophic is likely happen, like recordings mysteriously disappearing or getting deleted in 6 months.
>
> Also just want to thank people who responded to my earlier questions, I do appreciate the effort.

Is the old db available enough to do a mysql dump?  If so, you could  do a full restore of the db. Without all the leftover ‘cruft’.

You would be on your own trying to tie things back together in the Television section IF you try what you are suggesting above regarding the db.

If you have them in videos, AND you haven’t updated metadata for all the old video, you can just rescan your videos. IF you have metadata for all those 600, your steps above will lose that info.

HOPEFULLY, you can do a mysqldump and capture all your data and metadata(If you care about metadata).

Regards!