[mythtv-users] Strange font issues with EIT apostrophes

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 14:10:38 UTC 2019

Occasionally titles read from EIT include non-standard apostrophes which
are rendered unexpectedly.  A recent example - Monday and yesterday -
was BBC_TWO "Britain's Next Air Disaster?"- Drones.

The guide on my Panasonic TV and the Mythfrontend FireTVstick 4k just
omit the character, while with F29 master it is rendered as the
female/Venus unicode U+2640 and with el7 master it is unicode U+25AF, a
white vertical (hollow) rectangle.

In F29 the same programme on BBC_TWO_HD is shown as "Britain" with
...Drones as the subtitle.  All the title after the character is just
dropped.  It wasn't listed as another showing of the SD programme, which
would ususally happen.

I think the character is actually U+0027 while the character expected
there is the single closing quote, U+0019, but I'm not familiar with all
this.

I'm using MythCenter-wide, with DroidSans.ttf, which apparently doesn't
have the Venus symbol.  Both the F29 and el7 boxes have
DroidSansFallback.ttf, which does include it, but el7 falls back
differently.  Is there a setting that could be tweaked?

John P