[mythtv-users] mythtv v30 'Could not open decoder' error

Tim Pletcher pletchtd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 14:30:54 UTC 2019

Since updating to 2:30.0+fixes-autobuild.201901261750.f11c5ab~ubuntu18.04.1
via Mythbuntu PPA early yesterday morning, I have had several intermittent
recurrences of the error 'Could not open decoder' appear on a remote mythtv
frontend while attempting to watch LiveTV.  Unfortunately, I am away on
travel and can't do much detailed troubleshooting right now.  However, I
was made aware of this new issue after receiving an angry text from my wife
last evening.

Looking through mythtv frontend log that goes back about 5 months, I don't
see any occurrences of this until yesterday after installing the mentioned
update.

Linked are log files with sections that cover the sequences bookending an
occurrence on the frontend and backend.
Frontend Log
<https://gist.github.com/pletch/b7136765971df50c1c6b9990d18fb059>  <--Line
28 is where error occurred.
Backend Log
<https://gist.github.com/pletch/2ea3c5e2dc102e03b92b543ce8b9f0b3>

If attempting to re-tune again, it eventually seems to work.

It appears that two updates were rolled into the fixes version installed
yesterday.  Is it possible this error is associated with this update:
[ Ringbuffer
change commit
<https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/b06510032478ec887fd2491b5f9a5dad415c30f0>
]?
Anyone else experienced anything similar?

Once I return home later this week, I'll do some experiments to see if the
error primarily associates with channel changes, program transitions etc.

Thanks,
Tim