[mythtv-users] upgrading from v29.1 to v30

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 14:20:13 UTC 2019

On 1/26/19 8:56 AM, Tim Pletcher wrote:

>     So here's what I did and it worked.
>
>     I made sure I have no updates available for anything first.  Then:
>
>       * sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/30
>       * sudo apt update
>       * sudo apt upgrade
>
>     Just for fun I tried sudo apt dist-upgrade and it yielded nothing
>     to upgrade.  Same thing for sudo apt full-upgrade.
>
>     Everything seems to be okay. I can watch livetv and play
>     recordings. I also updated a frontend to v30 running on a Ubuntu
>     desktop and it worked. I also tested Kodi 18 RC5 on that ubuntu
>     desktop.  All working.
>
>     The Shield TV version also worked with v30 just as it did with
>     v29.1. I have version v30-pre-983.
>
>     Jim A
>

> I updated my working 0.29 system to 30 today via the PPA per the
> instructions above.  The installation and upgrade completed with out
> issue.
>
> However, upon restarting the backend, my HDHomeRun tuners were all
> shown as in error.  I have an HDHomerun Prime and an HDHomerun Dual
> that I have been using for years.
>
> To troubleshoot, I removed the tuners in mythtv-setup under Capture
> Cards.  However, now when attempting to add them back, I don't even
> get an option for HDHomeRun device in the list of available tuner
> types.  Quickly looking over the mythtv-setup log, I don't see any
> obvious errors.
>
> Can anyone provide guidance on why I am observing this?  I saw the
> reference to "issues" with HDHomeRun tuners but I have not caught any
> of the discussion on what the issues actually are.  I also hoped I was
> safe having grabbed the build that occurred yesterday.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tim

Tim, someone mentioned earlier that the HDHR support was not in the PPA
version yet.  The reason mine worked is I'm using the External Recorder
Blackbox version called mythhdhrrecorder.
(https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythhdhrrecorder)

I also used some instructions from Gary about setup using
mythhdhrrecorder and tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite, where he talks about his
configuration for HDHomerun Premium service.  I used those instructions
minus the part about setting up Premium Schedule Listings.

Link to PDF instructions.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19wChqgPjPtt5tw7seUl-zySe-HrH6cJV/view