[mythtv-users] upgrading from v29.1 to v30

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 13:09:18 UTC 2019

On 1/25/19 7:26 AM, George Poulson wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 at 12:11, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com
> <mailto:darylangela at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Is there a difference between " full-upgrade" and " dist-upgrade"?
>

> Have you tried Google at all? :
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/770135/apt-full-upgrade-versus-apt-get-dist-upgrade

Well I have read the definitions but still do not know what to do to
upgrade from v29.1 to v30.

I think it's critical that this be documented somewhere as doing it
wrong is much worse than just installing mythtv from scratch. Having a
backup is good and needed, but if a problem arises during an upgrade it
could take a lot of work to rebuild.

Techniques to do this have changed over the years. back with going from
27 to 28, I did dist-upgrade as directed and everything crashed and I
had to quickly build a fresh system and restore my data.

Jim A