[mythtv-users] RAID 1 mirror with mythtv backend???

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 22:44:36 UTC 2019

On 1/23/19 11:42 AM, Will Dormann wrote:
> On 1/23/19 11:31 AM, James Abernathy wrote:
>> But lately I've started to have a mdadm failure about every 2-3 weeks.
> This is not acceptable.
>

>> were Toshiba P300 desktop drives.  Once I remove the drive I ran
>> Spinrite 6 on them that reads and writes every sector on the drive.  It
>> found no errors.
> No need for that snake oil.
>

>> What are the opinions on using RAID mirrors for mythtv recordings. Does
>> that cause more problems than it's worth??
>
> RAID should not cause problems.  Its goal is to minimize downtime in the
> case of the inevitable hardware failure.  It can also prevent data loss
> if you put all of your eggs in one basket of a single drive and do not
> have backups for some reason.
>

> If you have a drive that you're wondering whether it's good or not, post
> the SMART output for that drive.   e.g.:
> sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda

One of the drives I pulled out and that tested good I put into a USB
external drive to use for temporary backup. I was using it today to
backup my RAID mirrors offline and I get an email from smartctl daemon.

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/sdf [SAT], ATA error count increased from 0 to 813

Device info:
TOSHIBA HDWD120, S/N:58NYHDVCS, WWN:5-000039-fd4db8021, FW:MX4OACF0, 2.00 TB

I ran a smartctl -t short test and I attached the output as a log file.

Jim A