[mythtv-users] First time NVidia Shield + Remote Setup

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 17:10:31 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 10:39 AM A D <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 10:34 AM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 10:05 AM A D <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all
>>> I wanted to start a fresh chain so as to not mix up my initial email for
>>> help.
>>>
>>> I just bought NVidia Shield 4K gaming edition. Reading here from past
>>> emails, I know a lot of people said there were certain gotchas, especially
>>> setting up the remote the "right" way.
>>>
>>> Can someone please give me the 'best' practices on setting up the nVidia
>>> as a Frontend?
>>>
>>> Not sure if this matters, but I do not have TV recording on my backend.
>>> I am only doing this for Music/Photos/Videos (on my storage - NOT
>>> recordings)
>>>

>> If you are not recording TV (or from a STB), then MythTV should not be
>> your choice.  There are way better suited media slingers out there with
>> apps for most devices already available.
>>

> I am sorry but don't agree with that - I have been using Myth for 12 odd
> years. When Comcast/Xfinity started encrypting TV channels, I stopped the
> TV recording on my end. However, I love Myth platform and even though there
> may be million other offerings that can do something better, I prefer
> keeping my bond with Myth.
>
> Appreciate the input, though.
>

>>> Reason I mention this is there were some emails about commercial skip
>>> and that doesn't affect me and didn't want someone to waste their time for
>>> me on it.
>>>
>>> Appreciate all the help you guys give, as always.
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Ash

No worries - I can appreciate that.  The remote for the shield is pretty
nice to use, but the new LONGPRESS entries in MythTV are non-intuitive, so
I gave up trying to make them work.  Every time I tried to train one in
MythTV, the short button press kicked in and MythTV acted on it.  I am
unsure how to get them working, but since I have the Harmony stuff, I did
not dwell on it too long and just use my harmony mapped to my keys as
always.  If you are going to use multiple Shields, I recommend upon first
cofig of the frontend to make a unique identifier you can distinguish so
MythTV does no make them all seem similar (in case you want to copy the
keymappings from one Shield to the other in the database without having to
go through it all over again).

-Greg