[mythtv-users] small portable DVR

Jay Harbeston (ISeePeople) jharbestonus at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 13:15:43 UTC 2019

> Okay, my initial test worked. I setup to record 2 HDTV programs at the same time from a HDHR Duo.  Then once the recordings started I could use mythfrontend to view either recording while both programs were still recording.  With a Duo that's as much as you could do. I ran this test at a time when no other system wanted to use the HDHR since I was using the standard HDHR setup and not mythhdhrrecorder external recorder that does share.
> I have some major concerns about using this on a home network though. To share the HDHRs I would have to use mythhdhrrecorder and that sort of forces me to tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite which is supposed to be a huge memory hog.  The RP3 only has 1GB for everything. For my test described above I use an external xml file to fill the EPG so memory wasn't an issue.

When this thread started I was thinking you were wanting it for travel use in an RV or similar. The referenced solution using the 2 RPis would be very portable.

I don’t think I would want the portable RPi solution for everyday usage at home either.  I also use the silicondust premium and the mythhdhrrecorder as well although I am going to drop it this month and maybe pick it back up during the holidays later this year.

Maybe by then the quality will be better and the channels will return that were lost over these past holidays.

Regards,