[mythtv-users] small portable DVR

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 20:37:44 UTC 2019

On 1/15/19 11:24 AM, Jay Harbeston (ISeePeople) wrote:

>> On Jan 15, 2019, at 10:31 AM, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com
>> <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Well, this test of mythtv-backend on an RP3 B+ is probably over. I
>> setup the RP3 with Raspbian LIte Stretch 9 and boot from USB External
>> Hard Drive. Using the Build from Source Wiki I got mythtv built
>> without errors but I could not do the Ansible dependence stuff. Had
>> to do that the old fashion way.
>>

>> I could get the backend setup for HDHR internal method, and set no
>> grabber of EPG.  So when Kodi on another system connected it could
>> see the channels, but I could not play one. I’m  not sure way?
>> Usually if the mysql permissions aren’t right you can’t even get that
>> far. I got no errors in any logs I could find.
>>

> You need to visit the raspberry pi page on mythtv.org
> <http://mythtv.org>. In it there is a mythtv-lite package that you
> want to install on raspbian stretch available from raspberry pi.org
> <http://pi.org>. No need to compile yourself.
>
> Just follow the instructions on the referenced page from mythtv.org
> <http://mythtv.org>.
>
> Incidentally using the package referenced above for v29, I am able to
> record from 2 tuners, as well as watch from a 2nd raspberry pi running
> mythtv-light set up as a frontend machine. I also have the mp2 license
> installed, and it works well when following the instructions outlined
> on the mythtv.org <http://mythtv.org> raspberry pi page.
>
> Again, make certain to follow the instructions if you are interested
> in raspbian stretch and mythtv-lite method.
>
> Regards,

This was a real pain but I got it working. As we all know with mythtv
there are 99 things that have to be perfect for it to work and I forgot
an important one. On the backend the IP in General was still localhost.
I changed that to it's real IP of 192.168.0.30 and everything worked. I
usually forget the Security PIN of 0000.

So we know it works on the RP3 using Mythtv-Light and adding the
database. still need to get mythweb working. I must have missed a step
there.

Jim A