[mythtv-users] small portable DVR

Jay Harbeston (ISeePeople) jharbestonus at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 18:52:29 UTC 2019

> On Jan 15, 2019, at 1:39 PM, Curtis Gedak <gedakc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 2019-01-15 9:24 a.m., Jay Harbeston (ISeePeople) wrote:
>>
>> You need to visit the raspberry pi page on mythtv.org. In it there is a mythtv-lite package that you want to install on raspbian stretch available from raspberry pi.org. No need to compile yourself.
>>
>> Just follow the instructions on the referenced page from mythtv.org <http://mythtv.org/>.
>>
>> Incidentally using the package referenced above for v29, I am able to record from 2 tuners, as well as watch from a 2nd raspberry pi running mythtv-light set up as a frontend machine. I also have the mp2 license installed, and it works well when following the instructions outlined on the mythtv.org <http://mythtv.org/> raspberry pi page.
>>
>> Again, make certain to follow the instructions if you are interested in raspbian stretch and mythtv-lite method.
>>

> Thanks Jay for providing details about your experience with MythTV
> Backend on a Raspberry Pi.
>
> I assume the RPi links mentioned are the following:
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_Light
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source
>
> On your RPi with the MythTV backend, do you also have the MySQL database
> and Apache web server running?

Yes, the DB is running on the same pi as the backend.

> If so are there any custom configurations you would recommend so that
> everything can run smoothly within the 1 GB of RAM on an RPi?

I don’t recall having to do anything special on the backend machine. I used the standard raspbian stretch desktop. Since I am not running a frontend(or Kodi) on the backend machine, video memory can be left at the default setting.

I have scheduled several recordings for this evening, and I will let it run overnight, but based on experimentation today, including recording 3 or 4 streams from each channel to ’saturate’ the channel, and watching one of them as it records, it works well as a recording only backend. It won’t be doing any fancy stuff such as comm flag or transcoding, but for just recording, it is working fine.

I did install phpmyadmin on the backend, so that also brings in apache on it as well.

When I did my earlier tests a few months ago using a sandisk USB 3 128Gb memory stick as the recordings directory the results were not  good. With a 3.5 inch external Toshiba drive, though it is working just fine as above.

Regards