[mythtv-users] OffTopic :: Harmony Hub and remotes w/ virtual leyboard

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 17:06:07 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 9:25 AM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 07:02:57AM -0600, Greg Oliver wrote:
> > I have 2 hubs and 3 remotes in this house.  I cannot get the virtual
> > keyboard method to work on any of them (One, Ultimate One, and Elite).
> The
> > phone app works just fine on al hubs.  The other two remotes were
> actually
> > controlling the Shields through IR still (before Logi added the BT
> support
> > for the Shields).  Once I deleted them and added them again, they were BT
> > and the virtual keyboard was added, and they work exactly like Logi says
> > they should.
> >
> > Despite this, when I add a Windows PC using the method posted in another
> > thread and assign a remote button, the remote always tells me I need to
> > pair every time I press a button assigned to the virtual (Windows PC)
> > keyboard.
> >
> > I just got off the phone with Logi EU and they have never heard of it and
> > say it will not work unless that Windows PC is paired via BT to a actual
> > device, otherwise it is useless to have it as a device in the config.
> If I
> > do that, it will send the keystrokes to the paired device.  Both hubs and
> > all 3 remotes behave the exact same way, so I am wondering what is
> > different.
> >
> > For those who use this method - are you pairing that "Windows PC"
> (renamed
> > to Windows Keyboard) device to anything?
>
> No, I've never had to pair it.
>
> > Logi told me I will every only get the keyboard from the Harmony App on
> my
> > phone and never (currently) make the remote use keys from that keyboard.
> >
> > Anyone experiance this and know where I must have steered clear?
>
> Is you Hub firmware up to date?

Yep - like James said, it auto updates, and I have asked it to upgrade
itself as well.

> Other than that, I'm not sure what else to tell you.  I've used this
> procedure on 4 hubs, 1 conpanion (remote with the smart home keys) and
> 3 smart (older, remote without the smart home keys).

Yeah, I think I am just going to go back to using it as a Windows PC
without power on/off.  I have tried to get this running every morning I
have had free time for 1.5 weeks - without success :)

It is not important enough to waste more of my life, but I do not like it
when I cannot figure out something like this, but I think I am justgoing to
let it go.

The really weird thing is the last time (yesterday) when I setup a TV
Activity before the Shield (just plain ole TV with channel up/down and
volume), then added the Shield to that activity, it actually made the key
availability of the Shield device wildly different.  Every key I had
programmed on the Shield when it was a Windows PC several weeks back
started working again with the keymaps I had created prior - in other
words, the menu key did not press "Home" for the Shield, etc..

This leads me to believe that Logi is keeping stuff in their database that
is jacking with my account in getting this going.  It is truly a weird
one.  I have used the "Harmony Hub" app and deleted this remote/hub combo
completely, factory reset the hub and remote, but when it pulled all of my
keymappings from somewhere yesterday, I know there is something going on
there..  Oh well - it is getting too painful to talk to the support techs,
so I will change it back to Windows.  Although, if I knew how it got to
this point today and could reproduce it, it is the best - I have a remote I
can use all buttons on where the Shield functions (on/off included) are
still working.

Mystery - it will probably be on one of the Discover shoot-off channels @
2am in 10 years or so  :)