[mythtv-users] OffTopic :: Harmony Hub and remotes w/ virtual leyboard

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 13:41:35 UTC 2019

On 1/15/19 8:02 AM, Greg Oliver wrote:
> I have 2 hubs and 3 remotes in this house.  I cannot get the virtual
> keyboard method to work on any of them (One, Ultimate One, and Elite).
> The phone app works just fine on al hubs.  The other two remotes were
> actually controlling the Shields through IR still (before Logi added
> the BT support for the Shields).  Once I deleted them and added them
> again, they were BT and the virtual keyboard was added, and they work
> exactly like Logi says they should.
>
> Despite this, when I add a Windows PC using the method posted in
> another thread and assign a remote button, the remote always tells me
> I need to pair every time I press a button assigned to the virtual
> (Windows PC) keyboard.
>
> I just got off the phone with Logi EU and they have never heard of it
> and say it will not work unless that Windows PC is paired via BT to a
> actual device, otherwise it is useless to have it as a device in the
> config.  If I do that, it will send the keystrokes to the paired
> device.  Both hubs and all 3 remotes behave the exact same way, so I
> am wondering what is different.
>
> For those who use this method - are you pairing that "Windows PC"
> (renamed to Windows Keyboard) device to anything?
>
> Logi told me I will every only get the keyboard from the Harmony App
> on my phone and never (currently) make the remote use keys from that
> keyboard.
>
> Anyone experiance this and know where I must have steered clear?
>
> TiA,
>
> Greg

Well I have it working so I'll try to help.  I have 6 activities. some
are simple like blueray, music on the AVR and SmartTV and AVR sound. But
I have the Shield TV and an Intel NUC running Kodi on ubuntu.

On the Ubuntu system I did add the NUC as a Windows PC and paired the
bluetooth. So that went as expected with using the non bluetooth
wireless  keyboard and having the Harmony send the keyboard commands.
No surprised.

On the Shield I did this, but it makes no sense.  I added a device to
the activity of a new windows PC and changed the name of the device to
windows keyboard. No pairing.  Then when setting up the activity I
included the windows keyboard device but nothing else.

When it came time to pick custom buttons on the activity. I chose a
button and when picking the device I just selected the Windows Keyboard
device then the key to send. i.e. 'p' for both pause and play. Normally
you are picking the device to receive the command not send the command,
and that's what through me.

It works.  It may help to set it up after a whiskey or two. :-)

Jim A

Disclaimer 1: My Harmony Smart Control Hubs and remotes are old although
the software gets update every time  you use the phone app to change a
button.P/N 815-000101

Disclaimer 2: bourbon is the best whiskey.