[mythtv-users] mythtranscode crashes on a .ts HD file

Andy Smith hastymind at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 14 11:34:55 UTC 2019

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 at 10:43, UB40D <ub40dd at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 at 17:45, Stefan Davids <mythtv at stefan.davids.uk.net> wrote:
>>

>> To use mythtranscode on h264 with a cutlist you need to use it in fifo
>> mode to output raw video which can then be transcoded by ffmpeg or
>> similar reading from the fifos.  Or generate the cutlist via mythutil
>> and just use ffmpeg directly to cut out those bits and concatenate it
>> together.
>

> Groan.
>

>> If you're familar with perl there's an example I use here at
>> http://git.netscum.org.uk/stefan/h264_fifo/src/master/transcode_perl or
>> there are many other examples in shell script or python around (at least
>> two on the mythtv website).
>

> Thank you. I am not familiar with Perl and would understand more from a shell or Python script. Which ones do you mean? I've done a bit of searching of the website and there's a hodgepodge of scripts at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Transcode_Video, none of which says clearly whether it works for HD.
>
>> It seems almost impossible to get the cutting exactly right though for
>> h264 though.
>

> Pity. If it has to be such a faff I may give up on doing it on Linux and may resort to Premiere, for the few things I really need to export for work.

I recently asked on the list for advice about exporting shows to a
projector (thanks all who responded, the trip was a total success).
The solution I settled on was the sendtonas.sh script discussed and
published here :-

https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?t=1261

I configured it to drop the output into my videos storage directory
and I pick up the media via mythweb for transfer to the projector, its
very elegant, but it has the advantage that it will deal with lossless
cutting of commercials on H264 streams using mkvmerge.  Oh, and it's
written in shell so its real easy to modify for your needs.
--
Andy