[mythtv-users] small portable DVR

Jay Harbeston (ISeePeople) jharbestonus at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 16:17:34 UTC 2019

> On Jan 13, 2019, at 10:06 AM, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>> I found that I could not use a USB stick as the storage for running and instead used a class 10 128GB memory card for mythtv backend on rip 3b+.
>>
>> You would then use another rip 3b+ as the frontend. That should do what you need. You may even be able to do the rpib+ frontend wirelessly due to improvements made in the 3b+.
>>
>> You will also need the mpeg2 license ONLY for the frontend if your broadcasts are mpg2.
>>
>> For both Rpi3b+’s you would want to set the performance mode described in the mythtv raspberry pi page.
>>
>> Regards,
>
> So I would have a high speed 32GB microsd memory card to run raspbian and mythtv backend and the external USB hard drive would be a self powered 2TB Hard drive. Would you start with mythtv light and then add the database and mythweb?

Based on my testing, the USB port has not been fast enough for storage.  I found I needed to use the sd card slot for storing recordings, hence the 128 GB sd card. They are currently around $25 on amazon for Samsung/sandisk.

Experimentation would be a good validation of the above using the small 32gb sd card with and without the 2TB usb drive.

You would need the database installed first followed by mythtv light and then myth web.

Regards,