[mythtv-users] Nvidia Shield Is the future of Mythtv Frontend

Jay Foster jayf0ster at roadrunner.com
Tue Jan 8 16:11:39 UTC 2019

On 1/7/2019 5:42 PM, Phill Edwards wrote:

>     > An old Tivo remote is exactly what I'm trying to preserve. I'll
>     check out
>
>     > the Flirc. Thanks!
>
>     >

>     > -- Tony
>
>     Yeah, Flircs are great.
>

> I'd heard Flircs are great so I bought one. I was actually
> disappointed. I didn't find it very simple to set up and I couldn't
> really work out how to get every key on my remote mapped to something.
> I found it easier to use my old MCE USB remote and devinput to send
> keyboard strokes from my Harmony 650 remote. So the Flirc is sitting
> in its original wrapping on a shelf :(
>
> I'm happy to accept this may just be me missing the point of the Flirc
> as everyone else seems to love them!

You are not alone.  I did not like mine either.  For me, the FLIRC is
designed backwards.  I need to program a keyboard key value for each
remote control button, assigning the same keyboard key value to more
than one remote button, but it does not work that way.  You can only
assign a given keyboard key value to one remote control button.  Mine
sits on a shelf too.  I find a full wireless keyboard/mouse combo works
better anyway - and can be used for web browsing, email, and system
administration too.
Jay