[mythtv-users] FLIRC with different remotes

Jay Harbeston (ISeePeople) jharbestonus at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 15:40:24 UTC 2019

> It would appear that the FLIRC's command line utility can load in custom configs.  You could load a different one into the FLIRC before launching XINE

My history with remotes started with using an HP MCE remote using Linux lirc.

I then bought a Logitech harmony hub and told it to emulate the generic MCE remote.

However, one of the updates I did borked the FLIRC setup and I bought a FLIRC for the harmony hub to talk to the FLIRC as a MCE remote.

In the original version of the FLIRC however, there were problems with the MCE remote such that some MCE buttons were not received correctly by the FLIRC, goofing up the keys given to mythtv.

My solution for this was to NOT have the FLIRC emulate an MCE remote, but instead had it emulate an old DVD remote I had laying around. If you don’t have a remote lying around, you can go to a thrift store, and buy a loose remote. They usually have a box full of them.

I then had Harmony hub use that same DVD remote, and added any extra keys needed by mapping them between the harmony hub and the FLIRC setup. The DVD player had a lot of buttons that were available! NOTE that when remapping, the dvd button functions do NOT have to match the function you give them in the harmony hub. They are just a carrier you can map to between FLIRC and harmony.

For awhile I did do a remap of buttons used for XINE to match the buttons used in Mythtv, but wound up not using XINE anymore due to changes that have occurred over time. I haven’t used XINE in 4 years or so.

I have been using the current solution now for over 4 years.

I did a save configuration within FLIRC so I could restore the FLIRC if I ever needed to.

Regards