[mythtv-users] Nvidia Shield Is the future of Mythtv Frontend

Preston Crow pc-mythtv18 at crowcastle.net
Tue Jan 8 14:22:04 UTC 2019

On 1/8/19 9:16 AM, Will Dormann wrote:
> On 1/8/19 5:11 AM, Doug Lytle wrote:
>> On 1/7/19 8:42 PM, Phill Edwards wrote:
>>> I'm happy to accept this may just be me missing the point of the Flirc
>>> as everyone else seems to love them!
>> Phil,
>>
>> Not all remotes work well with the FLIRC.  And, I've also found that not
>> all buttons on the all remote are active when selecting a function type
>> on a universal remote (i.e., DVD,DVR,TV).
>
> I've run into this myself with my Harmony remote.  My goal was to have
> *every* button of the remote actively sending out a signal when it's
> pressed.  Obviously, if the Harmony itself decides that a button is
> unused with a particular profile, there's nothing that can be done on
> the receiving end about it.
>
> It was about 10 years ago when I first set it up, but through some trial
> and error I found a device that had enough keys available:  Sony
> STR-DA5300ES.
>
> While this gave me all of the keys available to use, the real problem
> with this hack is that the majority of the keys' actual usage has
> nothing at all to do with how the buttons are mapped out on the physical
> remote.  For example, I have the the "guide" button mapped to the
> STR-DA5300ES "AmFmToggle".   In hindsight, I suppose I should have found
> a DVR-like remote that gave me all of the buttons to use.   In the end,
> I have two levels of mappings involved:
> 1) Sony STR-DA5300ES to physical remote layout.
> 2) lirc-recorded key to keyboard key to send to mythtv.
>

> I am curious about this FLIRC option, though, in case anything ever
> happens to my current remote house of cards.   A little quick googling
> didn't really give much detail on the mechanics of how FLIRC is set up
> for use with MythTV though.   Does the FLIRC come with special software
> to set it up?  Is it just a HID device?   How is it programmed?

I'm also interseted in switching to Flirc, but since it appears as a
keyboard to the computer, I'm afraid that if I map everything correctly
for MythTV, it will be wrong when I launch Xine for DVD iso playback.
(Maybe Myth now does all the menus and everything, but it didn't when I
set this up.)  With lirc, I can set the button-to-action mapping on a
per-application basis.

As to dead buttons on the remote, that's typical.  The solution is to
use a learning remote and learn something on those buttons from another
remote.