[mythtv-users] Is Nvidia Shield the future for Mythtv Frontend??

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 17:46:25 UTC 2019

On 1/3/19 12:23 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:
> [...]
>
>     Choose > (Next).
>
>     Choose No (Don't create activity)
>
>     Choose Edit Devices.
>
>     Choose Windows Computer.
>
>     Change the name to Windows Keyboard.
>
>     Choose X (Done).
>
>     2. Steps to add the keyboard device to the activity.
>     ----------------------------------------------------
>
>     Switch to the Activities tab.
>
>     Choose Edit Activities.
>
>     Choose the Shield activity.
>
>     Choose Re-Run Activity.
>
>     Check the box for Windows Keyboard.
>
>     Choose > (Next).
>
>     Choose > (Next).
>
>     Finish setting up the activity normally.
>
>     3. Steps to customize the remote buttons.
>     -----------------------------------------
>
>     Switch to the Activities tab.
>
>     Choose Edit Activities.
>
>     Choose the Shield activity.
>
>     Choose Customize Remote.
>
>     Choose a button to customize.
>
>     Choose Short Press.
>
>     Choose Device.
>
>     Here's where the magic finally happens.  You'll have the option of
>     choosing your Shield device, TV, audio device and maybe others.
>     You'll also have the option of choosing the new, Windows Keyboard
>     device.
>
>     Choose Windows Keyboard.
>
>     Choose Command.
>
>     Choose one of the many keyboard commands.  If you had instead chosen
>     the Shield device above, you would have only had a very limited number
>     of Shield commands to choose from here.
>
>     Choose > (Next).
>
>     Choose > (Next).
>
>     Finish customizing any other remote buttons.
>
>     4. Re-use the Windows Keyboard device with other activities.
>
>     Repeat steps 2 and 3 with another activity.
>
>     What you have effectively done is created an artificial, virtual
>     device with the full set of keyboard actions that you can add to any
>     activity.  Whenever you customize a button to send an action from that
>     device, the hub will actually send it to the bluetooth device already
>     paired for that activity.
>
>     The advantage you gain from doing all of this is that you can still
>     access any custom actions that your real device might support in
>     addition to all fo the standard, keyboard actions.  If your real
>     device doesn't have any custom actions, then you haven't gained
>     anything.  If it does, however, you would have lost those actions had
>     you originally configured your hub to treat the device as a just a
>     plain, old computer.
>

> I have done this over and over again now and even talked to Logi
> support today - they told me it will not work unless I pair the
> Windows PC via bluetooth, but I have to sort of disagree with them
> since the full keyboard is now available in the Shield Activity and I
> can type with it.  It is not available without this device in the
> activity, so I know it works.
>
> The remote always provides the dreaded "You must use the Harmony App
> to pair this device" message every time I press a button provisioned

I've never got that message?? wonder why.

> I have factory reset everything several times to no avail.  Anyone run
> inito this and knw how to get around it?  Like I said, the app works
> as described, but the remote displays the pair message (and yes, I
> have paired with Menu+Mute several times as well) over and over no
> matter what I do.

I setup a the m to (windows keyboard (WKB) menu, the DVR to Shield Home,
Guide to WKB s, Info to WKB i.  Things like that. It's a great way to
control Mythfrontend.  I made sure to have all the shield button cover
so the remote works for both functions.

Jim A