[mythtv-users] Need guidance for setting up a 4K frontend

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 22:25:53 UTC 2019

On 02/01/2019 21:15, Ashu Desai wrote:
> Thank you all - just wanted to throw in something - has anyone tried
> Amazon Fire Cub UHD 4K?
>
> I ask only because it's slightly cheaper - not sure if we can have myth
> on that? I am thinking we should be if we can do Firestick 4k?
>
> On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 12:44 PM Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com
> <mailto:dheianevans at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Jan 2, 2019, 11:31 AM Ashu Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com
>     <mailto:ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>         On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 10:22 AM James Abernathy
>         <jfabernathy at gmail.com <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>             On 1/2/19 10:55 AM, Ashu Desai wrote:
>
>         What is the game controller for? I mean if I get the $149 with
>         the shield and remote only, what am I losing out on?
>

>     You can play Android and Steam based games. You can see what sorts
>     if you look at some of the Shield review videos on YouTube.

I bought fire tv sticks 4k for use in the UK when I saw Peter's work on
mythfrontend for it, and I have used his Nov 24 build and settings with
excellent results on files created from UK OTA TV.  I don't feel an
urgent need for other formats, but would of course be pleased if they
became accessible.

I have used other players, VLC and Kodi, on similar local files.  I'm
less satisfied with the playback then; sometimes it hangs, often it is
less smooth.  Perhaps more experiment is needed.  Playback from BBC
iPlayer seems excellent.

I hope development for this device will continue.  It's good.
But I'm a little uneasy about Amazon's involvement;  their motive is
clearly to ease your ongoing takeup of their services, and their
'support' for other modes of use might be, or become, less than
enthusiastic.  Just a thought.

John P