[mythtv-users] Need guidance for setting up a 4K frontend

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 00:13:39 UTC 2019

On 1/1/19 6:23 PM, Ashu Desai wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 30, 2018, 6:17 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com
> <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     I just complete the upgrade of my Front End to a 4K Nvidia Shield.
>

> Thank you. I have been eyeing one lately since I see them on samjhe a
> lot. Curious  - if 4K id only via streamed content, is there any major
> tipping points to Shield vs say Firestick 4K? I only ask because that
> is under $60 setup...
>
>     It's plugged into the HDMI port of a UHD Samsung 4K TV. I have it
>     networked to the mythtv-backend via GBe cable.  But all the
>     content I have access to for Mythtv is 1080i/720p. I can stream 4K
>     content from a number of sources but all are thru a service like
>     Prime Video, etc. I went this way because of cost and video
>     quality. It's a perfect frontend for Mythtv-frontend, Kodi, Sling,
>     ESPN, Prime Video.
>

> Does it play lossless audio? TrueHD, DTS-HD?

My AVR supports that and I have all the settings turned on, but I don't
know when it's in the TrueHD modes?  The Shield is set to Surround
Always which passes thru any audio.  I just hope my UHD TV sends those
sames signals out the optical cable.

I don't have a 4K FireTV, but spec wise the Shield is better and it has
more CPU power and GPU power. The Shield produces the best picture I've
seen for Prime Video(4K), SlingTV and is as good a Mythtv-frontend as I
have.  My preview best FE was a Core i7 with a Nvidia GT710 card.  The
Shield cost about the same as my video cost me at the time.

Jim A