[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner Card 1609 and mulrirec

Per Hatlevik jakeisawake at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 19:41:38 UTC 2019

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 8:51 PM Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been reading the 'Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner Card 1609 and
> Pixelation" thread with interest.
>
> Just curious, but am I wrong assuming that the 1609 - like the HDHR - and
> MythTV can do multirec and record multiple stations on the same frequency
> using only one tuner?
>
> Thanks.

I've been using the quadHD since late 2015 and it is one of the best tuners
I've ever had!

To give a little background, I've been using mythtv continuously since
2004 with a variety of tuners: PVR-250, PVR-150, PVR-500, original
hdhomerun, hdhomerun HDHR3-US, hdhomerun prime, ceton infinitv eth6 and now
with the quadHD. All cable until I cut the cord when I bought the quadHD a
few years ago and cancelled cable due to a bill approaching $200/mo.
Currently I'm all OTA with the quadHD and no cable bill! And centurylink
gigabit fiber price for life but that is another story.

I've done a few thousand recordings with the quadHD over the last few years
and have never had a single failed recording so I think it is the most
reliable tuner I have ever owned and I love that it is internal PCIE which
eliminates any network related issues. I can't recommend this tuner enough!

It also supports multirec in mythtv. I think currently I have two tuners
per physical so 8 tuners total which is enough for what I need. When I
originally got the quadHD I did some stress testing and was able to
successfully record 16 (!) unique programs across 4 multiplexes without
issue, we have a ton of sub-channels in Minneapolis to make this possible.
No problems even with 16 recordings going though I do have 4 disks that
mythtv can record to so that may have negated any I/O issues.

So, the quadHD definitely fully supports multirec and I think it is also
one of the most sensitive tuners in the market today with better signal
levels than a HDHR3-US in limited testing.

Sorry to sound like an advertisement but I don't think anyone can go wrong
with the quadHD for OTA recording, I just love this tuner that much!