[mythtv-users] MythTV broke after the server IP change

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Feb 24 10:51:48 UTC 2019

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 10:42:33 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I resubscribe to the list after a long break, during which I used MythTV
>systematically (although in a quite unsophisticated way).
>
>I'm now use temporarily a router from a new Internet provider which
>does not allow any user configuration, in particular I have no control
>over the IP assigned to my computer. I will replace it by a better
>router purchased by me, but for formal reason I have to wait till
>April.
>
>Actually it is mariadb server which broke completely without any action
>on my side. I'm unable even to reinstall the package:
>
>--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>Feb 22 15:26:15 VivoPC-D8 mariadb-server-10.3.postinst[23398]:
>Feb 22 15:26:15 VivoPC-D8 mariadb-server-10.3.postinst[23398]: Installation of system tables failed!  Examine the logs in
>Feb 22 15:26:15 VivoPC-D8 mariadb-server-10.3.postinst[23398]: /var/lib/mysql for more information.
>--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
>I reported the problem
>
>https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=922644
>
>but the only constructive suggestion I got is to purge the package
>together with the recording database.
>
>Any better suggestions?
>
>As I said, I use MythTV for a long time but in an unsophisticated way,
>so it's best to treat me as a novice.
>
>Best regards
>
>Janusz

I am not sure that a % symbol is a comment line in a MariaDB config
file.  I would change the % to a # to make sure the old IP address is
actually commented out.  Also, does the MythTV box have more than one
IP address (say an Ethernet card and a WiFi connection)?  If not, then
it would be better to change this line:

bind-address		= 192.168.0.10

to this:

bind-address		= *

or to this if that PC is ever going to have IPv6 enabled:

bind-address		= ::

The * says bind to any IPv4 address, and the :: says bind to any IPv4
or IPv6 address.  Either of those means that any change of the IP
address of the box will not affect MariaDB.

Do not purge your database!  There should be no need to do that.

I am not sure where Debian puts MariaDB log files, but try looking in
/var/log and /var/log/mysql.  And see what the output of these
commands is:

systemctl status mariadb
journalctl -u mariadb