[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner Card 1609 and Pixelation

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 16:25:00 UTC 2019

On 2/22/19 10:43 AM, Allen Edwards wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 3:37 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com
> <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 2/17/19 6:07 PM, James Abernathy wrote:
>>

>>     On Sun, Feb 17, 2019, 5:57 PM Devin Heitmueller
>>     <dheitmueller at kernellabs.com <mailto:dheitmueller at kernellabs.com>
>>     wrote:
>>
>>         > You mentioned the HVR-2250.  I threw that card away because
>>         it could not receive my local PBS station. my HDHR Connect
>>         and Quatro can receive that station at ~50%.  My new WinTV
>>         Quad PCIe receives that station at 83%.
>>
>>         I would encourage you to be very careful throwing around
>>         these numbers
>>         as they are not an apples-to-apples comparison.  Each
>>         demodulator chip
>>         exposes it's SNR and signal level in a different format, so
>>         the scales
>>         are largely arbitrary (and each of the three products you
>>         mentioned
>>         have different demodulator chips).  Knowing that 50% is worse
>>         than 80%
>>         is useful for a particular card, but don't think 80% on one
>>         product is
>>         the same as 80% on a different product if they have different
>>         demodulator chips.
>>
>>         I'm not doubting the empirical results you've observed (i.e. that
>>         newer devices are performing better than your older generation
>>         products) - just the comparison of the actual numbers.
>>
>>         (speaking as someone who has worked on various ATSC demodulator
>>         drivers in the Linux kernel).
>>
>>         Devin
>>
>>         ==
>>         Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
>>         http://www.kernellabs.com
>>         ___________________________________
>>

>>     I would not disagree with you.  My point is with my antenna setup
>>     the HVR2250 could not scan the PBS station.  The HDHR Quatro
>>     could receive the station with occasional break ups. The WinTV is
>>     rock solid.
>>
>>     Jim A
>>
>     I had a situation with my reception recently that made me do a
>     revamp of my antenna situation. I had 2 antennas pointing in
>     different directions and combined before making the long run from
>     the attic to the splitter in the data distribution box. My
>     previous setup was for use with HDHR tuners.
>
>     Now with the WinTV QuadHD PCIe card I removed the weaker of the
>     two antennas and the combiner. The main antenna is a Clearstream
>     4MAX without a distribution amplifier.  I set the antenna 45
>     degrees off of both main signal sources, about half-way between
>     them. I used the HDHR signal strength to peak the signal, but when
>     I scanned with mythtv-setup I had achieved 91% on the weak PBS
>     station 30 miles away and 100% on all other channels.
>
>     I know these signal values don't mean much except 100 is better
>     than 90 is better than 50.
>
>     What I conclude is the WinTV-QuadHD PCIe card is the best tuner
>     I've tested. Much better than even the latest HDHR Quatro. A big
> [...]
I noticed your references were from Winegard.  They know antennas. I use
theirs on my RV. My RV sits in the backyard and with the antenna up it's
much lower than my Clearstream 4MAX.  It also receives stations 90 miles
away. I know that is very fringe situation but my house stuff stops
receiving at about 50 miles. Everything like trees, wind, rain come into
play.

One interference that I've become aware of is LED light regulators.  The
RV industry use cheap LED pancake lights mounted to the ceiling and when
they are one it wipes out any but the strongest signals. Nothing worse
for noise than a square wave regulator.

Jim A