[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner Card 1609 and Pixelation

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 00:24:29 UTC 2019

Hi Allen!

> Given everything you have said I would say that there are two
> possibilities. One is the loss of signal strength you are suspecting. In
> that case a higher gain antenna might help.  Unlikely that a better tuner
> would help as you have tried amplifiers and report no change (I think you
> said that).
>
> The other thing you might be seeing is multipath or direct signal fading
> which can certainly show up more when there is wind as the tuner cannot
> adapt to the change in multipath or signal level fast enough.  In this case
> a new tuner might help if the new chip is better at dealing with fast
> changes in the signal characteristics.

Thanks for the detailed and informative reply (which I only partially
quoted). As the problem with recording occurs only with windy weather
conditions I’m leaning towards the second part of your answer and
getting a new tuner (the Hauppauge 1609). I will try to check for
specifications on DSP, AGC, and sensitivity. ...Now for another set of
questions: what numbers are we looking for in Digital Signal Processor,
Automatic Gain Control, and half-know the lower the µV the more
sensitivity. And then I have the funny feeling they’re inter-related.

...Looked and did not see mention of the DSP, AGC nor any of that type
of specification – guess you’re off the hook trying to explain to a
hobbyist! <jk>

Right now plans are to finish a current computer project before starting
the one for the new Backend. Appreciate the input!

Barry