[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner Card 1609 and Pixelation

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 18:32:07 UTC 2019

Hi Allen!

> You can pretty much make the sensitivity of all of the tuners irrelevant
> with a preamp right at the antenna.

Yes, agree: the best tuner in the world is only as good as the signal to
it. Here have experimented with a few pre-amps within three feet of the
antenna’s connector, different splitters (non-amplifed), etc. The
problem seems to be a drop of the signal due to wind or possibly
movement of tree branches. I can’t cut the neighbours’ (plural) trees
but can move the antenna and that didn’t help. And the pixellation
occurred if too deep/length of a signal; drop, never with an increase,
so presuming not an overload and therefore cutoff of the tuner’s AGC
circuitry or possibly overloading of the splitter. (And I’m stating as
partially as what I have done to rectify as opposed to being
confrontational – I’ll admit I may be on the wrong track and willing to
listen.)

As it seems like the only thing I haven’t changed and have control over
is the tuners I’m considering a newer tuner might have better acceptance
of signal strength variations.

Barry