[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner Card 1609 and Pixelation

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Sun Feb 17 22:55:07 UTC 2019

> You mentioned the HVR-2250.  I threw that card away because it could not receive my local PBS station. my HDHR Connect and Quatro can receive that station at ~50%.  My new WinTV Quad PCIe receives that station at 83%.

I would encourage you to be very careful throwing around these numbers
as they are not an apples-to-apples comparison.  Each demodulator chip
exposes it's SNR and signal level in a different format, so the scales
are largely arbitrary (and each of the three products you mentioned
have different demodulator chips).  Knowing that 50% is worse than 80%
is useful for a particular card, but don't think 80% on one product is
the same as 80% on a different product if they have different
demodulator chips.

I'm not doubting the empirical results you've observed (i.e. that
newer devices are performing better than your older generation
products) - just the comparison of the actual numbers.

(speaking as someone who has worked on various ATSC demodulator
drivers in the Linux kernel).

Devin

==
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs