[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner Card 1609 and Pixelation

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 17:56:13 UTC 2019

Hi Allen!

I would just add a couple of things to the excellent write up that Stephen
did.  If the problem is too much signal, you can get attenuators that you
put inline with the antenna feed. If the problem is not enough signal, an
antenna outside high up is better than one in the room with the TV.  If the
antenna is a long way from the tuners, an amplifier near the antenna is
what you want.

Yes, agree Stephen did an excellent write-up! Here have tweaked the
systems with amplifiers and attenuators to compensate for the splitters.
Have removed amplifiers (worse!), tried different amplifiers (the HDP269
seems to be best), attenuated the signal (3 dB, 6 dB) at both ends of
the feed (nope!)….

There are also different grades of cable and the cheaper ones are
not very good and can "leak" signal and pick up interference. This is more
important if you don't have an antenna but get tv through a cable
provider.  The leaking cable can pick up OTA signals and really mess up the
ones in the cable as they are at the same frequency. You might even pick up
enough of your station that it cancels out the main signal but that is not
very likely.

<chuckle> Not at you but back around 1980 when Cox Cable was stringing
coax for this area they used cheaper coax (maybe RG/59/U). All went fine
until they started stringing coax near the antenna farm a couple miles
from the house – leak city!! At the time Chs. 4 and 6 were VHF and Cox
rebroadcast on the same frequencies and massive interference! Ended up
Cox had to rewire a portion of their distribution system with a much
better-shielded coax. _Any_leakage in houses also created problems.

Connectors are important as well and the best ones are pressed on with mildly expensive tools
Right: I am using the compression connectors and have my own tool.

I am not sure if anybody uses "twin lead" any more but that is fine as long as it doesn't run over any metal. It doesn't last as long though and I think is pretty much out of favor.
Last time I used 300Ω twin lead was to make my own antenna, probably in
the late 70’s.

Thanks for the suggestions and reminders!
Barry