[mythtv-users] Audio/Video sync issues

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 00:06:46 UTC 2019

On 2/12/19 6:45 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 2/11/19 9:24 PM, Bob wrote:
>> On 2/11/19 4:10 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
>>> On 11/02/2019 04:38, Bob wrote:
>>> Perhaps you're seeing another aspect of this; see the last paragraph.
>>>
>>> http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2019-January/399215.html
>>>
>>> "There is a bug with VDPAU rendering. Certain channels in the USA...."
>>>
>>> Over the past few months Master has had various changes related to
>>> AVsync and it seems they haven't yet been finalised.  I haven't seen
>>> a problem here in the UK - with a GT710.
>>>
>>> John P
>>
>> Thanks for responding. I am using a GT710 as well and am seeing this
>> issue with both MPEG-2 and recordings from my HD-PVR (MPG-4 or
>> h.264?). Even stranger, recordings that worked in the past are
>> showing the same problem now.
>>
>> The same records play fine other other frontend systems.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> Perhaps something could be happening in your sound card. MythTV relies
> on the sound device to tell it how much audio has been actually played
> from time to time, and synchronizes the video accordingly. Are there
> any changes in your audio device or settings?

I'm still experiencing lip sync problems on my Shield TV. I didn't
notice this until v30 upgrade on both the Shield and the backend. When
I'm watching a program with lots of faces talking like the evening news
I notice it only if I'm skipping around. Like pausing to go get a drink
then skipping forward and backwards to get where I want to be.  It will
be slightly out of lip sync. I can fix it simply by pausing the playback
for a few seconds and then hitting play.  It's back in sync after I do
that until I skip around again.

Jim A