[mythtv-users] compiling performance question

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Mon Feb 11 16:11:18 UTC 2019

Recently upgraded from 29 to 30 but as of yet, rpm based distro's don't have a v30 in the repos. Cue git and self compiling. All ran with a simple ./configure, make, make install.

1) Compiled on 3 machines, with everything running SSD's with at least 4GB ram. CPU's & compile times as follows:
Laptop - i5-5200u - 3minutes (used as a test machine)
Server - Pentium G3240 - 20minutes (multipurpose, running Myth BE)
intel Nuc - Celeron N2830 - 2h40mins (Primary FE)

Time on the nuc seems excessive (compared to the Pentium and my own expectations). Don't think I've ever seen compile times that long including older hardware from maybe myth 0.21 era. iirc an atom330 i used to run would take about 40mins.  Does anyone else see these types of compile times on budget hardware?
Not sure if it's expected or it's showing signs of failure, but the nuc seems to perform fine under other scenarios - mythtv playback avgs around 35% per core, SSD performance fine using dd - htop&iostat,dmesg doesn't show even a hint of an issue.

2) I've never seen it asked or mentioned as a possibility in my years of compiling from source: Can you just compile for an FE role rather than all the extras in mythtv (BE, commflag, previewgen, transcode etc etc)?