[mythtv-users] Mapping remote keys in Edit Keys screen

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 02:28:05 UTC 2019

I've got my remote set up using ir-keytable. When I run "ir-keytable -t" I
can see the keys showing up as things like KEY_PREVIOUS, KEY_NEXT,
KEY_CHANNELUP, KEY_ESC, KEY_M etc.

So I thought the next simple step would be to assign these keys to the
MythTV functions I want the to perform. For example I want KEY_NEXT to skip
commercials.

When I go into Edit Keys in the frontend and choose TV Playback >
SKIPCOMMERCIAL I can see that it's currently mapped to "Z" and "End". So
then I click on one of the empty buttons and I see a screen saying "Press A
Key. Waiting for key press". What I've found is that screen only detects
actual keboard keys, so it will detect KEY_ESC and KEY_M from my remote,
but not things KEY_CHANNELUP, KEY_NEXT etc.

Am I misunderstanding how this is supposed to work? How do I map a key
command from ir-keytable that isn't an actual keyboard key to one of these
functions?

Regards,
Phill