[mythtv-users] mythfrontend.real

Stefan Davids mythtv at stefan.davids.uk.net
Wed Feb 6 13:14:24 UTC 2019

On 06-02-2019 12:56, James Abernathy wrote:
> On 2/6/19 7:29 AM, Stefan Davids wrote:
>> On 06-02-2019 12:14, James Abernathy wrote:
>>> my questions is what is the purpose of mythfrontend.real and why is
>>> it
>>> not created when you build mythtv from source??
>>>
>>> what I did was on a fresh Xubuntu 18.04 system, I built mythtv from
>>> source fixes/30 branch and when I tried to run
>>> /usr/local/bin/mythfrontend it failed due to QT mysql driver not
>>> loaded.  I could not figure that one out so I setup to install mythtv
>>> via the ppa:mythbuntu/30 so I'd get the missing piece. Then I could
>>> go
>>> back to working with the source.
>>>
>>> That fixed my problem some how, but I noticed that the ppa mythtv
>>> stuff was in /usr/bin and the source built myth stuff was in
>>> /usr/local/bin.  And the source built stuff had no mythfrontend.real.
>>>
>>> Is it needed??
>>
>> It's just a script to launch mythfrontend.real which is the real
>> exectuable.  It handles restarting when mythfronted dies for
>> example.
>>
>> My built from source system has it (although that's currently v0.28).
>> The Debian one just builds deb packages which you then install
>> (in /usr/bin as it happens).  How are you building from source?
>
> I built with the instructions at the link:
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source
>
> I'm using xubuntu 18.04 but did NOT use dpkg-buildpackage
>
> If I had not had the error with QT mysql drive not loading I probably
> would not have discovered this discrepancy.

I've always followed
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Debian
which might work for you too as I think Xubuntu is ultimately
Debian based?  I guess there's some extra stuff done via the
package building which installs the script for you. I've always
liked the convenience of having deb's to install and upgrade as
well.-

You can find the script at packaging/deb/mythtv/debian/mythfrontend.sh

Ultimately the script is just convenience; you don't need it for
a functioning system.  There's a script which sits around mythtv-setup
too.

Stefan