[mythtv-users] mythfrontend.real

Stefan Davids mythtv at stefan.davids.uk.net
Wed Feb 6 12:29:22 UTC 2019

On 06-02-2019 12:14, James Abernathy wrote:
> my questions is what is the purpose of mythfrontend.real and why is it
> not created when you build mythtv from source??
>
> what I did was on a fresh Xubuntu 18.04 system, I built mythtv from
> source fixes/30 branch and when I tried to run
> /usr/local/bin/mythfrontend it failed due to QT mysql driver not
> loaded.  I could not figure that one out so I setup to install mythtv
> via the ppa:mythbuntu/30 so I'd get the missing piece. Then I could go
> back to working with the source.
>
> That fixed my problem some how, but I noticed that the ppa mythtv
> stuff was in /usr/bin and the source built myth stuff was in
> /usr/local/bin.  And the source built stuff had no mythfrontend.real.
>
> Is it needed??

It's just a script to launch mythfrontend.real which is the real
exectuable.  It handles restarting when mythfronted dies for
example.

My built from source system has it (although that's currently v0.28).
The Debian one just builds deb packages which you then install
(in /usr/bin as it happens).  How are you building from source?

Where you install the source is a function of what options you
call configure with I'd imagine.

Stefan