[mythtv-users] mythmusic - scan for new music

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Feb 2 05:07:29 UTC 2019

On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 12:33:56 +1100, you wrote:

>hi
>
>mythmusic seems to have lost track of some of my rips that I did
>with mythmusic. So I thought I should rescan to try & recover.
>
>I found the documentation about how to rescan [1] but there's no
>feedback in the interface that a scan is occurring or complete,
>only a couple of lines in mythfrontend.log:
>
> I CoreContext main.cpp:232 (runScan) Scanning for music files
> I CoreContext musicdata.cpp:61 (scanMusic) Requested a music file scan
>
>Should there be a popup or some kind of status indicator ?
>Vince
>
>[1] https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythMusic

Yes, I find it a pain to do a scan.  Fortunately, I do not do scans
often.  My usual method is to rip a CD and put the rip in the right
directory, then run "mythutil --scanmusic", since I am normally at a
command line when moving a rip to the right place.  Then some time
later I run mythmusic and the new CD is there.  If anything goes wrong
though, you may need to shutdown mythfrontend and restart it.  That
happens with my mother's MythTV box where she does not have enough
disk space for her full set of Verdi opera CDs and I host them on
another PC over the network.  If her box is rebooted when that other
PC is not available, the network directory does not get mounted, and
mounting it later does not work without restarting mythfrontend.

The MythMusic wiki page also looks like it is out of date, as there
seem to be storage groups for "Music" and "MusicArt" now.