[mythtv-users] Very Low Cost Frontend

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sun Dec 29 11:28:30 UTC 2019

On 27/12/2019 16:39, John wrote:
> On 27/12/2019 11:52, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>>> VAAPI playback works very well in Myth 31 so unless you get US
>>> broadcast standard I would stick to a NUC for a combined front & back
>>> end.
>>
>> How does vaapi compare with vdpau these days? Is the deinterlacing as
>> good? Is automatic frame rate switching supported? (I realise that
>> last feature isn't strictly to do with vaapi, but I mean hardware that
>> supports vappi.
>
> See comments relating to VAAPI in the Render Branch Wiki (current
> master) -expected to be released for Ubuntu 20.04.
>
> I believe that it is somewhat dependent on the feature set of the
> processor.
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/2019-render
>
> On my 5 year old Haswell chipset the performance improvement of Master
> using VAAPI over Myth version 30 was noticeable.

I hadn't realised that info was there. Useful thanks. So is a NUC with
the most recent hardware pretty much perfect now? I've been using nvidia
ion based z boxes for many years in the UK, and even 1080i50 shows
perfectly fluid playback, never missing a frame. And until the recent
change in drivers, frame-rate switching has worked perfectly. I'm
worried if I swapped to a NUC I might be disappointed.