[mythtv-users] Very Low Cost Frontend

glen glenb at glenb.us
Fri Dec 27 02:39:26 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-12-26 at 16:57 -0500, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> My 10 year old Macmini/HDHR running Ubuntu Myth front/backend is
> having issues. I'm looking for a very low cost replacement. I build
> the trunk frequently, and want the standard frontend not Kodi. The
> Mac has an old Nvida GPU which worked well for years, and I really
> want something with a GPU that Myth supports.
>  From what I read there is no GPU support on the PI4, which other
> than would be a nice price point.
> I know a NUC would work, but they start getting pricey once
> configured, and its not clear to me what the cheapest one without
> media format limitations is. I know there are other boxes in similar
> form factor, but don't know if there is a better value than a NUC.
> Storage is not an issue, I already use a large USB disk for both root
> and the media on the mini.
> It seems like even cheap phone/tablet SOCs have better GPUs than the
> old Nvidia.

i think the cheapest would be some android solution. you could get
something like xiaomi mi box s from walmart. or more specs less money
something like this
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VLGPY34?ref=em_1p_0_ti&ref_=pe_2313360_462489410

if you don't care about netflix. the chinese android boxes will have sd
card where you can install coreelec and have dual boot. you will get
decent playback of mythfrontend through the two android apps for myth
and have ability to run other stuff from store or sideloaded apps.