[mythtv-users] Very Low Cost Frontend

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Thu Dec 26 21:57:23 UTC 2019

My 10 year old Macmini/HDHR running Ubuntu Myth front/backend is having
issues. I'm looking for a very low cost replacement. I build the trunk
frequently, and want the standard frontend not Kodi. The Mac has an old
Nvida GPU which worked well for years, and I really want something with
a GPU that Myth supports.

 From what I read there is no GPU support on the PI4, which other than
would be a nice price point.

I know a NUC would work, but they start getting pricey once configured,
and its not clear to me what the cheapest one without media format
limitations is. I know there are other boxes in similar form factor, but
don't know if there is a better value than a NUC.

Storage is not an issue, I already use a large USB disk for both root
and the media on the mini.

It seems like even cheap phone/tablet SOCs have better GPUs than the old
Nvidia.