[mythtv-users] Sheild tv; theme & minor teething issues

marcus hall marcus at tuells.org
Thu Dec 19 15:06:27 UTC 2019

On Thu, Dec 20, 2019 at 07:33:08AM +0000, Tim Draper wrote:
>  > > > On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 08:20:23PM +0000, Tim Draper wrote:
>  > > ...
>  > > > > Shield is primarily used for MythTV, so i leave it running. System gets
>  > > > > put into sleep and after a while when i turn it back on it wakes up in
>  > > > > the leanback/home screen with the mythtv app in a sleep state. It doesnt
>  > > > > happen if i leave it for a short period...mythtv remains the active app.
>  > > > > Is there any way to always keep it running regardless of idle time?

> You are correct David. mythtv is running and opens immediately when i select mythtv from the leanback/home screen. it just goes into the background after a while. very minor issue as leanback appears to be defaulting to the first entry in the favourites list, which is mythtv. simply pressing 'ok/enter' on the remote is all it needs from me to get the FE back open.
> if it was consistent i could program the harmony remote to open mythtv.

I use the shield for several apps, including mythtv.  Each app is an activity
in the harmony.  So, part of the startup sequence for each activity includes
sending Nvidia HOME, then Nvidia F1 (or F2, etc.).  (I also send Nvidia HOME
in the shutdown sequence).  I have a button-mapping app that maps F1, F2 etc
to applicaiton activation.  This seems to be reliably switching between
apps when I change activities.  (I used to just send the F1, etc. which worked
mostly, but some times it seemed to be stuck in one app and not always switch.)

If you primarily just use the mythtv app, it seems that you could send any key
that you aren't otherwise using during the activation sequence and use the
button mapper to perform app activation of mythtv on that key.  This should
be ignored if mythtv is currently running but start it if it isn't.

marcus hall
marcus at tuells.org