[mythtv-users] controlling when mythfilldatabase runs?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Dec 14 16:14:46 UTC 2019

On Sat, 14 Dec 2019 10:02:10 -0500, you wrote:

>I know I've changed this in the past because my mythfilldatabase runs
>every night at 2AM.  But today I can't find where this is set.  I have
>just built a new test backend and it runs mythfilldatabase at 24hr after
>the time I originally installed mythtv and initially ran mythfilldatabase.
>
>I've looked at all the setting in mythtv-setup and I missed it if it's
>still configurable.
>
>Can someone help with this?

Mythtv-setup > General > Programme Schedule Downloading Options.
Scroll down to find that - it is off the bottom of the visible part of
the list.  Enable "Automatically update programme listings" if
necessary, then right-arrow gives you the mythfilldatabase control
settings.

Or disable "Automatically update programme listings" and run
mythfilldatabase from a script in a cron job under your frontend user
(run "crontab -e" from the frontend user to edit the user crontab
file).  This is what I do - I set it up that way before systemd
existed.  Now, if I was doing it again, I would probably run my
mythfilldatabase script from a systemd unit, set up to run it as user
mythtv.