[mythtv-users] HDHR prob with new wallwarts

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 16:05:20 UTC 2019

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 7:28 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 09:51:00 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 6:14 AM Stephen Worthington <
> >stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>

> allen.p.edwards at gmail.com

> >> getting
> useful.

> on
> >> the

> >> no_clear"
> >> this

> if

> the
> >> current.

> the
> tuners
> >> were

> no

> problem.

> from? Do
> >>
> >> You would normally want to use the nameservers that your router should
> >> be getting from your ISP.  Your router may be able to tell you what
> >> they are.  Using Google's public nameservers as above should work for
> >> most things, but there can be some subtle problems (and benefits). For
> >> example, if your ISP runs local CDN servers (say Akamai servers), then
> >> anything you would normally have got from the local CDN servers will
> >> now be received from some global server somewhere much further away if
> >> you use Google DNS.  And you may be unable to access ISP services that
> >> are provided only to your ISP's customers from this PC.
> >>
> >> If you can find the correct ISP nameserver addresses from your router
> >> of maybe from a web page on your ISP's help pages, or by calling their
> >> helpdesk, then you can put them here.  ISP nameserver addresses
> >> normally do not change, but it can happen if they have to reorganise
> >> their IP addresses (especially if someone takes them over), and if
> >> that happens, then the static IPs that you put here will need to be
> >> changed also.  It is unlikely that your ISP will inform you if they
> >> change the addresses, as your router will normally pick up the new
> >> ones automatically.  If you use Google's nameservers, then those
> >> addresses are extremely unlikely to change.  And if they ever do, it
> >> will be big news on the Internet.  But you are giving Google
> >> information about what DNS addresses you are using.
> >>
> >> I think it may be possible to do partial DHCP, where you use a static
> >> IP address as above, but get things like the nameserver addresses
> >> using DHCP.  I have never done that using the interfaces file, but it
> >> is probably possible using some scripting.  Likely way beyond your
> >> capabilities.
> >>
> >> Also, using /etc/network/interfaces on a system that is using
> >> NetworkManager as yours is, there can be lots of complications.  I
> >> found I had to disable NetworkManager to get some things to work, and
> >> that may have included the "dns-nameservers" options.  It is a very
> >> long time ago that I did this, so my recollection is cloudy.  So
> >> overall I would recommend not doing static IP addresses this way
> [...]
points. A little history. I got this fix from a combination of comments to
posts here by Ian Cameron, a bug report on Linux
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/avahi/+bug/1586528, and an
article I can't find. Stephen was also helpful in troubleshooting and in
particular eliminating the IPv6 issue as a possible cause. I reviewed the
thread and see that without the name servers the system appeared to work
but was not getting Schedules Direct data so after 2 seeks my recordings
stopped. I cannot find the article that suggested adding the name servers
but I am pretty sure I got it from a Google search. It did not come from
this group. I have static addresses or reserved addresses on the Linux box
and the HDHRs. I changed that as an experiment lately and it did not work.