[mythtv-users] HDHR prob with new wallwarts

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 14:51:00 UTC 2019

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 6:14 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 16:31:02 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 1:45 PM Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>
> >wrote:

> getting

> the

> no_clear"
> this

> current.

> were

> >> What you did is not enough. I did that from day 1 and had the problem.
> >> Perhaps you can ask a specific question based on the fix I posted.

> > $ cat /etc/network/interfaces
> ># interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
> >auto lo
> >iface lo inet loopback
> >auto enp2s0
> >iface enp2s0 inet static
> >    address 192.168.0.210
> >    netmask 255.255.255.0
> >    gateway 192.168.0.1
> >    broadcast 192.168.0.255
> >    dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8   8.8.4.4
> >My only question is, where did you get the dns-nameservers values from? Do
> >I need to edit these?
>
> You would normally want to use the nameservers that your router should
> be getting from your ISP.  Your router may be able to tell you what
> they are.  Using Google's public nameservers as above should work for
> most things, but there can be some subtle problems (and benefits). For
> example, if your ISP runs local CDN servers (say Akamai servers), then
> anything you would normally have got from the local CDN servers will
> now be received from some global server somewhere much further away if
> you use Google DNS.  And you may be unable to access ISP services that
> are provided only to your ISP's customers from this PC.
>
> If you can find the correct ISP nameserver addresses from your router
> of maybe from a web page on your ISP's help pages, or by calling their
> helpdesk, then you can put them here.  ISP nameserver addresses
> normally do not change, but it can happen if they have to reorganise
> their IP addresses (especially if someone takes them over), and if
> that happens, then the static IPs that you put here will need to be
> changed also.  It is unlikely that your ISP will inform you if they
> change the addresses, as your router will normally pick up the new
> ones automatically.  If you use Google's nameservers, then those
> addresses are extremely unlikely to change.  And if they ever do, it
> will be big news on the Internet.  But you are giving Google
> information about what DNS addresses you are using.
>
> I think it may be possible to do partial DHCP, where you use a static
> IP address as above, but get things like the nameserver addresses
> using DHCP.  I have never done that using the interfaces file, but it
> is probably possible using some scripting.  Likely way beyond your
> capabilities.
>
> Also, using /etc/network/interfaces on a system that is using
> NetworkManager as yours is, there can be lots of complications.  I
> [...]

I understand what you are saying Stephen, but I have a couple questions. If
I go the manual  method, would I first have to revert my
"/etc/network/interfaces" file to original state? (I did get successful
News and NFL recordings on HDHR last night) Secondly, I've employed a fix,
recommended by this site "
https://datawookie.netlify.com/blog/2018/10/dns-on-ubuntu-18.04/"  to
insure that nameserver settings required for my VPN survive a reboot. I
assume this should be taken into account when using your's or Allen's fix,
right?
I just checked and the change to /etc/network/interfaces (Allen's fix) has
not harmed my VPN usage.