[mythtv-users] Ubuntu 20.04 daily builds

Tom Bishop bishoptf at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 01:29:29 UTC 2019

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019, 6:28 PM Stuart Auchterlonie <stuarta at squashedfrog.net>
wrote:

> On 06/12/2019 13:28, Tom Bishop wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Dec 6, 2019, 5:31 AM Stephen Worthington
> > <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz <mailto:stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 19:43:22 -0600, you wrote:
> >
> >     >I need to migrate from 14.04, upgraded the my virtual machine
> server to
> >     >Centos 8 and having issues with stability with my old 14.04 running
> .27
> >     >fixes. Hard to track down and figure it just needs to get upgraded
> >     so was
> >     >thinking about going to a 20.04 daily build and using the ppa for
> >     .30, but
> >     >was wondering if anyone has done that yet and if any major issues.
> >     >
> >     >I'm not in a big rush and could do 18.04 but would love to skip the
> >     upgrade
> >     >if possible.
> >     >
> >     >Thanks! :)
> >
> >     If you are planning to actually upgrade the 14.04 system, rather than
> >     do a new install of 20.04 daily, then you have to do the upgrades in
> >     between anyway: 14.04 => 16.04 => 18.04 => 20.04.  And the LTS
> upgrade
> >     code is not normally available until the .1 version anyway, so 18.04
> >     => 20.04.1 and 20.04.1 will not be available for several weeks after
> >     the release of 20.04.  So realistically, you can only upgrade to
> 18.04
> >     at present.  If you really, really want to use 20.04 at this stage
> >     when it is guaranteed to still be very buggy, your only options are a
> >     new install, or do the LTS upgrades to 18.04 and then upgrade 18.04
> =>
> >     18.10 => 19.04 => 19.10 => 20.04.
> >
> >     And you need to be wary of kernels as recent as the ones that are in
> >     20.04 daily as they may well break your tuners - there have had to be
> >     patches for broken tuner support in some recent kernels (in 19.10 I
> >     think - I did not follow what happened except in passing).
> >
> >     What video card are you using?  If you have an ancient (now
> >     unsupported) Nvidia chipset, then you can not upgrade beyond 16.04
> >     anyway as the older kernels in 16.04 are the last ones that the old
> >     Nvidia drivers work with.  Even in 16.04 you would have had to stop
> >     upgrading the kernel months ago to keep the necessary Nvidia support,
> >     or manually patch and install the old Nvidia drivers.
> >

> > All good points I should have been more clear, I would not go with an in
> > place upgrade but install 20.04 daily fresh and import database. This is
> > also just for a backend, no frontend is needed, I use Kodi for all my
> > frontends.
> >
> > I started poking around 18.04 last night and not able to get the
> > database to connect so I have lots more playing to do to make sure I
> > understand the steps. At least with playing with it virtually I can
> > snapshot and go back and try again until I can get it correct. I will
> [...]

I went with the latest 18.04, restores my database and made a couple of
tweaks but it's up and running. If the ppa had been ready for 20.04 I would
have probably gone with that to save the upgrade in the future. I only have
hdhomeruns and I'm only installing the backend so it's fairly simple. So
far it appears to be more stable than 14.04 which since I'm running kvm was
probably a kernel issue but was to lazy to chase it down and figured
upgrading was the easiest path forward.

I'm a long long time user, really thankful you guys have kept it going.

Thanks again.