[mythtv-users] Capture Card

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Thu Dec 12 18:17:36 UTC 2019

I am having trouble with OTA reception on rainy days and am looking into
improving my signal.  The first thing I am looking at is my capture
card; currently a Dvico Fusion Dual tuner.  I don't know if Dvico is
cheap enough to do it, but other dual cards I've looked into have a
splitter on-board which introduces a minimum of -3.5 db, even it it's
done right, and I'm guessing theirs does, too.  Two capture cards (or
external devices) would be fine as I have an unused output on my
distribution amplifier already.

A lot of what I've read indicates that the Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1265 has
the best sensitivity, but all the posts/articles that state that are old
(like 2014) and I am wondering if anyone on this list has experience
with a capture device that is as good or better and supported on Linux.
What would be really cool is a dual (or more) tuner device with an
inboard distribution amp, rather than a splitter.  Of course the
manufacturers don't seem to advertise anything about their hardware
capabilities, just their "cool" Windoze software.

Any advise or experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

Dave D.