[mythtv-users] MythTV on Raspberry Pi 3B+?

Anthony Brummett brummett at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 17:01:24 UTC 2019

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 7:56 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
> The RP4 is so much faster; you can do all the video in software as long as your TV is 1080p and not 4K UHD. I've had very little luck with 4K on the RP4.  on a 1080p TV the mpeg2 is perfect without hardware acceleration.

The one problem I have with my RP4 frontend is with mythvideo.  The
CPU isn't fast enough to use the software decoder to handle h265/hevc
videos or some high bitrate h264 videos.  It's my understanding that
there needs to be ffmpeg and/or mythtv software changes to support the
RP4's hardware decoder.

It has no problem playing back OTR mpeg2 recordings, both 1080i and 720p.

-- Tony  brummett at gmail.com