[mythtv-users] Guidance for phase 9

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 01:38:38 UTC 2019

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 11:02 PM Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:

> Interestingly, I'd forgotten that Robert Kulagowski from
> schedulesdirect posted earlier in this thread, that some software does
> exactly what I'm referring to. That is, assuming a station is in fact
> the same station purely based on ATSC major and minor number...and not
> based on frequency.

With great flexibility, comes great responsibilty.

MythTV is designed to offer a lot of options and
capabilities, which is great for a solution that needs
to work for everyone, everywhere, with the dozens
of possible content sources, however that admittedly
makes things complicated for those that do not
understand the actual options (technology blinders
make everything easier).

For those with recent gen HDHR tuners, If one
uses a 3rd party external recorder (documented
on the wiki) one needs to make zero changes in
MythTV itself, because the translation is done in the
tuner.  But that solution, too, has different tradeoffs.