[mythtv-users] mythtv-light and backend on Raspberry 4 results

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 20:36:38 UTC 2019

On 8/14/19 4:30 PM, Bert Haskins wrote:

> On 8/14/2019 10:26 AM, James Abernathy wrote:
>>
>> Now that I have this working I'll document for others.
>>
>> Hardware:
>>
>> Canakit Raspberry Pi 4 Starter Kit.
>>
>> GANA Micro HDMI-to-HDMI adapter
>>
>> GeeekPi Acrylic Case for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B, Raspberry Pi Case
>> with Cooling Fan & 4PCS Heatsinks for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B(Only for
>> Pi 4) (Black and Clear)
>>
>> StarTech.com SATA to USB Cable - USB 3.0 to 2.5” SATA III Hard Drive
>> Adapter
>>
>> Samsung 860 QVO 1TB Solid State Drive
>>
>> NOTE the Canakit case was too thick where the Micro HDMI are so the
>> GANA adapter would not connect reliably. So I uses the GEEEKPi case
>> which is completely open on the power and micro HDMI connecters. If
>> using GeeekPi case, use their CPU heatsink and not the Canakit one.
>>
>> Software:
>>
>> Raspbian Buster desktop but without apps. After OS install I moved
>> the rootfs to the USB/SATA SSD using a script found
>> here:(https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3232&start=15#p15884)
>>
>> mythtv-light for v30
>>
>> After installing mythtv-light per wiki. I use a script to install
>> mythweb, mariadb and other backend related packages using a script I
>> found herehttps://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3232#p15773()
>>
>> Configuration:
>>
>> Setup Raspbian to operate at 1080P on my 4K TV.
>>
>> Configure mythtv-setup for my HDHR tuners as any backend is configured
>>
>> Create $HOME/.asoundrc file for Digital Audio with ALSA per
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
>>
>> Configured mythfrontend using setup wizard for Audio-
>> ALSA:mythtv:CARD=ALSA, Video- OpenMAX normal. Selected Mythbuntu 30.1
>> theme.
>>

>> That's it.  Works fantastically at recording shows on multiple tuners
>> while watching previously recorded show.
>>
>> Note use the fan regardless of which case you pick.
>>
>> Jim A
>>
> Jim, the Pi4 is available in 1,2,  and 4G memory configs.
>
> Which did you pick and why?
>
> What I'm asking is if there is any real advantage in going for the 2
> or 4 Gig models.
>
> Thanks,
>
>   Bert

I picked the 4GB model. The entire starter kit was only $99 for the 4GB
kit, $79 for the 1GB. For $20 difference I'll have 4 less beers this
week at the pub to pay the up-charge.

The reason is not knowing what I'll be running on it long term. But with
Mythtv Combo FE/BE recording 2 HD programs and watching LiveTV on
another HD channel, this is my memory situation:

pi at raspberrypi:~ $ free -m
               total        used        free      shared buff/cache
available
Mem:           3664         653        2208          64 802        2818
Swap:            99          11          88
pi at raspberrypi:~ $

So you could go with less than 4GB, 2GB should work nicely, but for $10
more. Why?

Jim A