[mythtv-users] HDPVR problems - power supply again?

DryHeat122 . dryheat122 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 03:39:24 UTC 2019

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019, 9:57 PM Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> wrote:

> On 8/12/19 6:51 AM, DryHeat122 . wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Aug 12, 2019, 6:43 AM DryHeat122 . <dryheat122 at gmail.com
> > <mailto:dryheat122 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     IDK, I've used non-Hauppague wall warts and they've failed too.
> I've seen
> >     those schematics for powering via USB.  I might have to try that.
> >
> >     On Mon, Aug 12, 2019, 6:34 AM Greg <gregl at nycap.rr.com
> >     <mailto:gregl at nycap.rr.com>> wrote:
> >

> >         On 8/12/19 9:14 AM, DryHeat122 . wrote:
> >>
> >>         On Mon, Aug 12, 2019, 5:17 AM Justin Alcorn <justin at jalcorn.net
> >>         <mailto:justin at jalcorn.net>> wrote:
> >>
> >>             I had similar problems.  The powersupply fixed it.
> >>             --
> >>             Justin B. Alcorn
> >>             The views expressed are not necessarily my own, much less
> anyone
> >>             else's
> >>             PGP Fingerprint CCEB F776 C3FD 1050 C8DB 532E B8B9 BED7
> 7764 406C
> >>

> >>             On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 1:16 AM DryHeat122 . <
> dryheat122 at gmail.com
> >>             <mailto:dryheat122 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >>
> >>                 After a very long period of reliable service, my HDPVR
> is
> >>                 failing to start recordings and/or starting them then
> dropping
> >>                 them after around 30 sec.  Logs show recorder failed
> errors.
> >>
> >>                 My natural impulse is to think the HDPVR has trashed yet
> >>                 another power supply. I think the current one is its
> 4th.  But
> >>                 have never had this particular symptom before, so
> thought I'd
> >>                 better ask.
> >>

> >>         Does anyone know why these boxes are so hard on power
> supplies?  I've
> >>         never had another device that was like this before.

> >         I don't think it has anything to do with the box,but more to do
> with the
> >         components in the power supply..
> >
> > It seems that you can buy these cables now.
> >
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079K2DS3H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_S5wuDbD8NW6DT
>
>   Has anyone ever hooked up an ammeter to see what the HDPVR actually
> draws?  I
> wonder if it is close to the 2 AMP rating of the PS, so just stresses it
> out,
> causing earlier failures.

I had the same thought last time mine crapped out. Instead of doing the
science as you propose, I replaced with an over capacity wall wart (3-4A I
think) and that's the one that just failed.

I don't know enough about PS electronics to say if anything other than
over-drawing current could stress the PS.

It also makes me worry about getting power from the USB of the Myth box.
It's one thing to kill a $15 wall wart and another to kill a $100 PC power
supply.