[mythtv-users] UI myths

BP lists at qucae.com
Sun Aug 11 06:09:59 UTC 2019

On 8/10/19 9:46 PM, James Linder wrote:
> Why do we do this
>
> “Do you really want to Exit Mythtv”
>
> For the 1000s of times you say “I do” surely the once you mean “No” you could easily and cleanly restart mythfrontend.
> If mythfrontend was running something eg mythcommflag (that’s a backend task, but just say) there is no frontend indication to say ‘busy now’ ’try in a while’.
> Seems like an irritatation based on what MS thinks is good UI design.
>
> James

For people using MythTV with a remote control as an appliance, trying to
restart it might not be so easy without a mouse and keyboard.  The
prompt saves much hassle when you accidentally hit ESC or back one too
many times. I personally have a monitor that restarts the frontend if it
quits for any reason as well, but that's a 60 second delay and not
everyone has such a setup.

That said, I do have one desktop system that does not prompt.  I believe
the way to remove the prompt is to go to Setup > Edit Keys > Main Menu
and remove all assigned keys from the EXITPROMPT action.  Make sure you
have a key assigned to the EXIT action such as ESC or CTRL+ESC.