[mythtv-users] mythtv FE/BE combo for an RV?

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 19:15:30 UTC 2019

On 10/08/2019 18:33, James Abernathy wrote:
>> On Aug 8, 2019, at 3:01 PM, Mike Bibbings <mike.bibbings at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 08/08/2019 18:59, James Abernathy wrote:
>>> While on a recent 4 month RV trip my main mythtv backend at home ran great and recorded all our show.  I tried to use an RP3B+ to provide similar OTA DVR features in my RV as we moved around.  I could not get this working with Mythtv Light before I left.  So on the RP3 B+, I used LibreELEC and TVH server/client and it sort of worked, but a big pain to setup each stop and it was not forgiving on signal issues in remote areas.
>>>
>>> So now that I'm home I'm trashing the RP3 B+ and going to build a mythtv FE/BE combo on a Intel NUC with Xubuntu 18.04 LTS and Mythtv v30. I have it working with HDHR Connect Duo tuners and EIT EPG data.
>>>
>>> So my questions are these:
>>>
>>> 1.  The System Information page asks the question, Is mythfilldatabase running?  I think that I can ignore this since my guide data is OTA EPG provided by me setting the Video Sources to EIT only.  Right??
>>>
>>> 2. When I move locations in the RV, obviously I need to rescan for the new channels.  I'm thinking something like: in mythtv-setup run the channel scan in Input Connections on the first tuner and the rest will just follow along? Then allow time for the EPG data to fill in.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Jim A
>>>
>> For 1. this message can be ignored  as long as  EIT kicks in and starts populating the Guide Data, for me it usually starts after around 5 minutes.
>>
>> For 2. you probably want to delete all existing channels before doing a new channel scan, mythtv-setup might retain channels for your old location which could cause failed recordings/LiveTV if you just redo channel scan.
>>
>> Easy way to delete the previous channels before a new channel scan is to use mythtv-setup>Channel Editor>Delete, then run Channel Scan on the same screen.
>>

>> Setting up mythtv-backend on Raspberry RP3 B+  is a time consuming manual process.
>>
>> Whilst dong some work on a Raspberry Pi4 I wrote a script to automate the process of setting up mythbackend having installed mythtv-light, it also works on Pi 3 see https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3232#p15773
>>

>> Mike
>>
> Mike, I got your script from the mythtv forum that you referred me to.  It worked great on my RP3 B+.  As I commented there I’ve ordered a 4GB RP4.  I put some questions in the forum since there seem to be a crowd there who are interested. Since the RP4 doesn’t have MPEG2 HW decoder, I’m concerned that it might not be a good combined FE/BE.  If the RP4 works solidly as a BE, I can use my RP3 as  Kodi FE only.
>
> Jim A

 From my testing lack of MPEG2 HW decoder is not a problem as the 4
cortex-a72 cores in the Pi4 are powerful enough for software decoding.

Note Kodi (17.6) from Raspbian Buster Repository does not work properly
on Pi3 or Pi4.

Working version of Kodi 18 (pplware) for pi3 (do NOT install on Pi4)
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=192499&start=200#p1506904

Mike