[mythtv-users] Status of Win32 builds for MythTV

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Apr 28 09:13:13 UTC 2019

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 00:57:00 -0400, you wrote:

>I am looking to find and/or build a Windows mythtv frontend for ver
>29.1.
>
>In looking at the wiki
>(https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Windows), there doesn't seem to
>be anything updated since circa 2013 and ver 23.
>
>- Has anyone successfully built a Windows frontend using a recent mythtv
>  version?
>Are there any pre-builds available?
>Failing that, are there any updated build instructions?
>
>I like the idea of watching mythtv from my Windows laptop...
>
>Best,
>Jeff

These days, laptops are getting pretty powerful.  So you could
consider using mythfrontend in a virtual machine on a Windows laptop -
it may well work well enough now.  And you can always dual boot - that
is what I do, so I have Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 both on the same
SSD drive.  Booting 18.04 is very fast now from an SSD as systemd was
optimised for quick booting and the extra parallelism that a good SSD
allows.  And both Windows and Ubuntu can now access each other's
partitions - it is easier from Linux as ntfs3g is very good now, but
you can use the Paragon drivers from Windows to use EXT partitions.