[mythtv-users] optimize before shut down

Ian Cameron mkbloke at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 17:14:57 UTC 2019

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 at 03:52, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:

> Having the script in /etc/cron.daily doesn't seem to be functional, I'd
> like to have the database optimize itself just before the nightly
> auto-shutdown. What is a good way to accomplish this?  It's mythtv fixes
> 0.29 on Ubuntu desktop 18.04.  TIA  Daryl

You say having the script in /etc/cron.daily is not functional, but you
haven't entirely explained what you mean by that.

IMHO, using the mythbackend shut-down event, as discussed elsewhere in this
thread, could possibly be problematic.

Also IMHO, you might be better off looking at installing anacron to enable
the DB optimisation, which will ensure that the DB optimisation script is
run, at most, every x days, soon after boot (configurable delay) if the
last execution time is greater than x days.

As far as I know, the default packages for Ubuntu like systems will allow
you to install anacron and place the Perl script (or a symlink to it) in
/etc/cron.daily, which will automatically be handled by anacron if you have
installed the anacron package alongside the standard cron package.

Cheers, Ian